Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Week 2 in Guatemala

Hola family!!! oh man, thanks to all my friends and family for sending
me emails!!! It is sooo good to hear from all of you! I miss you guys,
but am really loving it here.  Wow, where do I start??
So I did make it to the Guatemala MTC safely! haha yay! When I
got insided security at the airport there were a whole bunch of
missionaries waiting in the airport as well!  When it was time to board
the plane, I think there were like 30 of us all American missionaries
from all over the country.  There were 12 sister missionaries
and the rest elders.  All the sister missionaries that came with me to
the CCM are all 19.  They are all so cute!!!  I'm in a trio
companionship now.  Hermana Thompson, (Jessie), who 
was on my intramural basketball team last semester from Ca is one of
them.. haha small world!  The other companion is Hermana Prince
from Mesa, AZ. She just graduated from high school!!  She is older
for her grade, and came on a mission a couple weeks after graduation. 
I would say half the norte (american) elders just graduated from 
high school or did a year of school already. 
My last bag, filled will all of my clothes was the second to last bag on the 
luggage belt.  I was getting super nervous, but
luckily we all got our luggage!!  There were 2 big older looking
yellow school busses that came to pick us up and take us to the CCM 
which was an hour away from the airport.  The guy who was at the 
airport to help us, named Peter got in the bus with us, and then half way 
to the CCM, the bus slowed down for him to hop out! haha... they just 
opened the door and slowed down on the side of the street and he 
hopped out and said goodbye.  I was a little nervous at that point if we 
were going to make it to the CCM haha but we did! This week has been 
jam packed, and we are always either studying, learning, planning,
teaching, eating, or sleeping.  But it has been great, and I love when
we have devotionals or the teachers speak to us about being a good
missionary.  The spirit is so strong here.  Oh also Hermana Call is
here with me too at the CCM. 
The food here is SOOOO good!!! Better than the Cannon Center if you
can believe haha.  Im still shocked too, but I'm either really hungry,
or Guatemala CCM cafeteria has really good cooks. Sometimes they 
cook American food like burgers or french toast.  But their local dishes are 
different but tasty.  
I really like my district. There are 9 of us!  Just my trio companionship of 
sisters and then 3 sets of elders.  The language is coming along slowly. 
We taught a lesson to our investigator... wink wink nod nod haha the 
second day!! We have been teaching a lesson everyday, and it's so 
frustrating that I can't say what I want to say in english!! I know what I 
want to say to them, but it just sounds terrible and wrong in spanish. :( 
We went to the Guatemala City temple today! It was really cool! We did the
English session thank goodness! My mission president and his wife are
awesome here! And one of my favorite parts about this week was when we
listened to Elder Holland's devotional at the Provo MTC on May 5th.
He said that as missionaries we must first convert ourselves and then
we can convert the investigator. He also talked about how He hates
seeing his sheep lost, but even more His shepherds and how even after 
the mission, we cannot stop converting and being converted ourselves.  
But I'm doing well, and enjoying it here.  I just wish I could learn spanish 
faster!!
Love you!! 
Love, Hermana Nichols 

No comments:

Post a Comment